This is Us – Week #5
Theme: This is BELONGING – “Now those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
Warm-Up Questions: Think of a group, club or organization that you have been part of in your past. And then think of one that you haven’t. Give both options and see who rightly guesses which group you were in!
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Galatians 2: 1- 5 (Affinity)
- What does Paul say was the reason for his trip to Jerusalem (verses 1-2)?
- How had some false believers sought to undermine Paul’s Gospel message (verses 3-4)?
- What was Paul’s response in an effort to remain true to the Gospel message (verse 5)?
Read Galatians 2: 6-10 (Association)
- How does Paul refer to the other leaders he encountered in the church (verse 6)?
- Why was it important to Paul that they agree with him as to his calling (verse 7)?
- What was true for Paul and Peter that identified their special callings (verse 8)?
Read Galatians 2: 9- 14 (Acceptance)
- How did James and Peter show their acceptance of Paul as a fellow apostle (verse 9)?
- What was the only thing the leaders asked Paul and Barnabas to do (verse 10)?
- What does Paul say was happening with Peter (verses 11-12)?
- How did the other Jewish Christians respond to Peter’s actions (verse 13)?
- What was the motivation for Peter’s actions that Paul opposed (verse 14)?
- What of all you learned about belonging encourages you most?
- When might you share this exciting aspect of your faith with someone this week?
Heavenly Father, thank You that in Christ we belong to the family of God and that by belonging we have gained affinity, association and acceptance in Jesus’ name.
Talk and Pray
Talk with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back.
Pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.