Come Backs – #5
Theme: God’s Supreme Power–“But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. ”
Warm-Up Questions: When did you try to make something entirely without the instructions? Who is the strongest person you ever came in contact with?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Joshua 3: 1-8, 14-17
- Where did the children of Israel find themselves in their journey (verse 1)?
- What do you think went through the peoples’ minds as they waited (verses 2-5)?
- What might the priests have thought hearing Joshua’s commands (verses 6-8)?
- How did God choose to show His power to the Israelites (verses 14-17)?
- What detail impressed you most in this story from Israel’s past (verses 14-17)?
Read Joshua 6: 1-16, 20
- What obstacle confronted the children of Israel (verse 1)?
- How would you have reacted if you heard what Joshua was told (verses 2-5)?
- What were the people thinking that first night after their march (verses 8-11)?
- How do you think the people felt about what they were doing (verses 12-14)?
- What do you notice in what happened next (verses 15-16, 20)?
Read Psalm 66: 1-7, 16-20
- Why does the psalmist say that we should praise God (verses 1-4)?
- How the reference to Joshua help underscore God’s power (verses 5-7)?
- Finally, what are we called to do as it relates to what God has done for us (verses 16-20)?
- What of all you learned about God’s amazing power encourages you most?
- When might you share this exciting aspect of your faith with someone this week?
Father, we read of the Jordan River being parted and Jericho falling by Your power exerted for
the children of Israel, and we ask You to help us believe You can do what we need in our lives.
Talk and Pray
Talk with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back.
Pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.