Growth Group Weekly Bible Study – 6.4.17
Pentecost Sunday – #1
Theme: Pentecost – “When the Day of Pentecost had fully come … they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues.”
Warm-Up Questions: How many languages are you fluent in, besides English? What is one time you tried to communicate in a foreign country?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Acts 2:1–4
- What was true of the disciples on the Jewish Day of Pentecost (verse 1)?
- How does Luke describe what took place next (verse 2)?
- What was the strangest thing that happened next (verse 3)?
- How did the recipients act because of what had taken place (verse 4)?
Read Acts 2:5–13
- How had God prepared the setting for what was to happen (verse 5)?
- What was so amazing about what the multitude experienced (verse 6)?
- Why were the people initially so surprised (verse 7)?
- How might we go about implementing the royal law of love in our lives (verse 8)?
- What would have made it impossible for the disciples to have known all these
different languages (verses 9-11)?
- How do the two different responses of the crowd reflect their confusion (verses 12-13)?
Read Acts 2:14-24, 32-33
- Of what does Peter remind the people of concerning the disciples (verses 14-15)?
- How does Peter relate what is happening to Biblical prophecy (verses 16-18)?
- What else does the prophet Joel say will be true in the future (verses 19-21)?
- How might you have felt if you were in that crowd hearing this (verses 22-24)?
- What also does he assert is true about those who are standing there (verse 32)?
- How does Peter say Jesus accomplished what they had observed that day (verse 33)?
- What of all you learned about Pentecost this week excites you most?
- When might you share this exciting aspect of your faith with someone this week?
Father, You who are able to make all love abound to us, remind us afresh and anew that Your desire is for the whole world to be saved and that You are not willing that any should perish.
Talk and Pray
Talk with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back.
Pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.