Growth Group Weekly Bible Studies – 4.23.17
Love Can – 1st Sunday
Theme: Love Can Define Us – “They will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Warm-Up Questions: How is a dictionary designed to be used? Why is knowing the definition of something important?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Ruth 1: 6-17
- How did Naomi initially express love to her daughters-in-law (verses 6-9)?
- How did the two women reply to their mother-in-law (verse 10)?
- What does Naomi remind them of in her reply to them (verses 11-13)?
- What is different in the way the two women respond (verse 14)?
- What do you hear in Ruth’s declaration to Naomi (verses 15-17)?
Read Ruth 2:1-12
- What is the situation for Naomi and Ruth in Bethlehem (verses 1-3)?
- How is Ruth referred to by the servants of Boaz (verses 4-7)?
- What is unusual in the way Boaz initially treats Ruth (verses 8-9)?
- How does Ruth rely to Boaz regarding his kindness to her (verse 10)?
- What do you learn about Ruth’s reputation in Boaz’ reply to her question (verses 11-12)?
Read I Kings 11:1-8
- What do you notice in Solomon’s choice of his wives (verses 1-2)?
- How did having so many women in his harem affect his love for God (verse 3)?
- What happened next in Solomon’s progression away from God (verses 4-6)?
- How does Solomon show that he could no longer be defined as God-fearing (verse 7-8)?
- How can you make sure that your heart is filled with the love of Christ?
- When might you share this exciting aspect of your faith with someone this week?
Father, thank You that Jesus is the perfect definition of love; that He was willing to be our example, so can that we can prove to be His disciples by living a life of love.
Talk and Pray
Talk with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back.
Pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.