Growth Group Bible Studies – 3.5.17
First Sunday in Lent
Theme: God’s Free Gift – “Through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.”
Warm-Up Questions: When were you ever caught doing something wrong, but got off? What is the best gift you ever received, other than at Christmas?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Romans 5: 12-19
- What does Paul say about sin in the world before the Ten Commandments (verses 12-14)?
- How does the free gift of God differ from the offense of Adam (verses 15-16)?
- Why does Paul say about the effect of the free gift of grace (verse 17)?
- How does Paul say justification is similar to condemnation (verses 18-19)?
Read Genesis 3:1–10
- What was the serpent trying to get the woman to think about God (verse 1)?
- How did the woman’s answer (verses 2-3) add to what God had said (See Genesis 2: 16-17)?
- What was it that made the serpent’s reply so attractive to the woman (verses 4-5)?
- What three things convinced the woman to eat the fruit and give it to Adam (verse 6)?
- What were the immediate results of their mutual decision (verses 7-10)?
Read Genesis 3:11–21
- How did they reveal awareness of the seriousness of their disobedience (verse 11)?
- What did Adam and the woman say that is so common to the way we respond (verses 12-13)?
- How does God deal with the serpent to show His displeasure (verse 14)?
- What prophetic word about the Messiah is contained in this passage (verse 15)?
- How would all women and men be affected by their actions (verses 16-19)?
- What significance is there to the changing of the woman’s name (verse 20)?
- How did God‘s dealing with their nakedness (verse 21) fulfill Scripture (see Hebrews 9:22)?
- What would it mean for you to more fully embrace God’s gift of Jesus’ sacrifice for you?
- When might you share this exciting aspect of your faith with someone this week?
Father, help us to remember that Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of all prophecy, that He lived a perfect life, overcoming all temptation for us, so He could be the perfect sacrifice for sin.
Talk and Pray
Talk with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back.
Pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.