Growth Group Bible Studies – 3.12.17
Second Sunday in Lent
Theme: God’s Will, Not My Will – “Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us…”
Warm-Up Questions: When did you ever have to give up something you really cared about? What is the purpose of a YIELD sign on the highway?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Matthew 26: 31-35
- How many of the disciples did Jesus say would be scattered (verse 31)?
- What did Jesus promise the disciples would later take place (verse 32)?
- How does Peter contradict Jesus’ previous statement (verse 33)?
- What does Jesus tell Peter that he will do before the rooster crows (verse 34)?
- How do Peter and the other disciples respond to Jesus’ predictions (verse 35)?
Read Romans 12:1 – 8
- How is our reasonable service of worship of God described (verse 1)?
- What is the difference between being conformed and being transformed (verse 2)?
- What makes it so hard not to think more highly of ourselves (verse 3)?
- What point is Paul trying to make here about the Body of Christ (verses 4-5)?
- Which of the gifts that Paul includes here is your particular gift (verses 6-8)?
Read Romans 12:9 – 21
- Which of the three actions mentioned here is easiest for you (verse 9)?
- How do you apply these truths in the everyday real world (verses 10-13)?
- What do you do to make the things mentioned here work in your life (verse 14)?
- How does the thought here amplify that expressed in verse 3 (verses 15-16)?
- Why do you suppose Paul says, “if it is possible” (verses 17-18)?
- What do you find most comforting in Paul’s final thoughts (verses 19-21)?
- What would it take for you to be transformed by the renewing of your mind?
- When might you share this exciting aspect of your faith with someone this week?
Father, help us to remember that although we are constantly being challenged by the world around us to conform to its wishes, we can be transformed by the power of Your word.
Talk and Pray
Talk with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back.
Pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.