Growth Groups Weekly Bible Study – 12.18.16
Advent #2 – Simeon’s Song
Theme: Simeon’s Song – “For my eyes have seen Your salvation which You have prepared before the face of all peoples.”
Warm-Up Questions: How did you feel as a child when you were waiting for something? What is the most exciting thing that you have ever experienced?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Luke 2: 21-24
- Why were Mary and Joseph in the Temple this first time (See Leviticus 12:1-3)?
- Why were Mary and Joseph in the Temple this second time (See Leviticus 12:4, 6-8)?
Read Luke 2: 25-27
- What did you see in the description of Simeon that was challenging to you?
- How much do you think Simeon understood of all that God had revealed to him?
- What do you think may also have been some of his personal concerns?
Read Luke 21: 28-33
- What strikes you as most unexpected in this scene with Simeon and the baby Jesus?
- Why was it that Simeon was so overcome with emotion as he was?
- What was so unusual about Simeon’s words as he praised God for Jesus?
- How would you correlate what Simeon declared to Jesus’ words in John 3:16-17?
Read Luke 2: 34-35
- Why do you think Simeon went on to address Mary in particular?
- How do you think Mary felt when she realized what Simeon had said about her?
Read Luke 2: 36-38
- Why do you suppose this story of Anna is included here as well?
- What are some things that you noticed about Anna that are similar to Simeon?
- What practical step will you take to show your gratitude to God this week?
- When might you share these foundational truths of your faith with someone this week?
Prayer: Father, help us to be thankful like Simeon for all that You have done for us in Jesus, that allows us to know You as our Father and worship You as our Consolation.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
A Growth Group is…
A group of friends growing around God’s word.
Three Objectives of Growth Groups
- Develop Friendships. Growth groups give opportunities for life-long friendships to grow.
- Hear God’s Word. Growth groups learn from the Bible and one another’s perspectives.
- Live Missionally. Growth groups spur one another on to live missionally.
Growth Group Agreement
- Grow closer to God
- Grow closer to one another
- Protect confidentiality
- Commit to attend
Every meeting should include:
- A time expectation. Decide as a group how much time will be given to socializing, a warm-up question, bible study, prayer, and “living missionally” questions.
- Living Missionally Wrap Up Questions. The book/class Joining Jesus on His Mission provide the context for these questions. These are meant to be empowering, not condemning!
- Pray. Each group can decide how they spend their time praying for one another.
Living Missionally Wrap Up Questions
Each person should choose one question and share with the group. If you haven’t taken the class “Joining Jesus on his mission,” you may want to answer a question like “What are you praying about?” which can be answered easily without the context of the class.
- Seeking the Kingdom
- How have you seen God at work?
- How’s God been messing with you?
- Hearing from Jesus
- What’s God teaching you through His word?
- What’s God inviting you to believe?
- Talking with People
- Who’s Christ pursuing through you?
- What kind of conversations are you having with non-Christians?
- Who are you intentionally inviting into your life?
- Doing Good
- How is God asking you to love the people/world around you?
- What good can you do around here?
- What’s one act of love you can do along your way?
- Ministering through Prayer
- How can I pray for you?
- What are you asking God for these days?
- Who are you praying for/about?