This Week’s Continued Bible-11.22.15
Warm-Up Question: Tell about a time when you were covered “head to toe” in something yucky! How long did it last and what did it take to get cleaned up?
Main Point: Jesus leads by serving so we too might serve!
Scripture: John 13:1-17
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
- Read verses 1-5. What are the events that led up to Jesus washing the disciples feet according to John 13:1-5. What do you think the room looked like?
- What do you think it means that Jesus loved his own to the end (verse 1)? What does that mean to you personally?
- Discuss what you think might be some of the thoughts people had in the room as they watched Jesus’ get himself ready to wash feet and then start doing it?
- Read John 13:6-11. Why did Simon Peter not want Jesus to wash his feet? How much can you relate to what he was feeling?
- Discuss what Jesus meant when he explained why he wanted to wash Peter’s feet?
- Peter seems to jump from one extreme to the other. First he didn’t want his feet washed, and after Jesus’ explanation he wants a complete bath. Jesus said, “those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet” in verse 10. What do you think he means by that?
- Read John 13:12-17. These verses are packed with many scriptural truths. Several people find one of the truths and speak it in your own words.
- Using what you know from scripture, discuss other ways Jesus demonstrated that he was a servant leader.
- What promise did the disciples, and will you, receive by following Jesus’s example to serve others? Think of examples of how you recently have been blessed in the ways you served as Jesus’ did.
- In what ways is God calling you to serve for Him? What are your hesitations or fears relating to this? What will you do to overcome those hesitations?
Group Prayer: Pray that God would raise up servant leaders in the church, and that the whole church would be blessed because of it.
Prayer: Jesus, You are the ultimate servant and have done far more for me than I ever deserve. I thank You for Your goodness and Your mercy to me. I pray that You reveal in my heart specific areas that You are calling me to be a servant for Your kingdom, and give me the time, courage and equipping to do what You have called me to do. Amen.