This Week’s Continued Bible Study-10.16.15
The Truths of Cheerful Giving
Warm-Up Question: Tell about a time when you received an expected financial or material gift “out of the blue” and it was just what you needed. Give some details to the events around your story.
Main Point: Christians give cheerfully because God abundantly supplies what is needed.
Sermon Topic: Cheerful Giving
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 9:6-12
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
- Read 2 Corinthians 6:6-7.
-Describe what it means to you to sow sparingly and then reap sparingly. What does that look like in your life?
-What does it mean to you to sow generously and then reap generously?
-What is the measure upon which each person should give? Can you think of an example of this today?
- With what attitude are Christians called to give. What examples do you notice in your world?
- According to verses 8-9 what is the blessing that God lavishes onto believers who give freely from their heart without reluctance? How does this encourage you?
-Read verses 10-11.
-What will God do in order that you may be abundantly generous?
-On what occasions are you called to be generous? Give examples of small everyday gestures of thankfulness that flow out of God’s riches.
- According to verses 11 and 12, what are the results of your generosity? How does this motivate and convict you?
- What truths and attributes do you learn about God from these verses?
- The key to generosity is for us to better see how rich we are because we have received the riches of life, forgiveness and salvation in Jesus Christ. Read Eph. 1:18-19 and discuss what part of that verse especially speaks to you.
- Think about the gifts God has given you…finances, life in Him, talents and abilities, relationships…and more. What areas now do you think God is calling you to be more generous?
- What results do you expect to see in your life as a result of your cheerful giving?
Group Prayer: Pray as a group about opportunities to give back to the community and to the church and for open hearts to do so.
Prayer: Father, every good and perfect gift is from above. You have lavished me with abundance in Christ Jesus and in all my material wealth. I am thankful for all that I have that is far beyond what I simply need. I pray that You would open my heart to give generously, knowing that You will not only continue to provide for my needs, but also bless me and others through Your amazing provision, resulting in thankfulness to You and You alone.